So on Saturday afternoon Patrice and I decided to head down to the Capitol Building to participate in the protest against Prop 8. What we had not predicted were the intense traffic baracades due to the G20 summit taking place this weekend. We wandered aimlessly trying to find an open cross walk only to stumble into the dead center of a Tibetan protest against the Chinese President. P and I were proud to lend our voices to "Shame on China" chants. We felt lucky to be able to witness their protest on the way to ours. Although, after 45 mins, and one broken up fight, we were over the whole 20 nation motorcade.
A few blocks down we found a large group obviously headed to the Prop 8 protest, now an hour underway. Just as we were finally starting to cross the street the beautiful skies turned deep purple and monsoon rains started coming down. At this point we were drenched but still determined. We eventually caught the group past the Washington Monument and walked to the back of the White House. It was incredibly moving to say the least - thousands of protestors - straight and gay - horns honking from passerbyers - families of all shapes. It was all of the good and all of the hard emotions wrapped up into one. I was glad Patrice was there holding my hand...for alot of reasons.
I forgot my camera (DOH!) so I tracked down a few photos via the web. The one straight couple with the sign was walking directly behind us. It was a memorable experience to say the least.


No comments:
Post a Comment